Tuesday, March 1, 2011

2011 Week 2 - January 8 - January 14

This week I made a felted dress for Minnie.

It was really easy! I found a lambswool sweater at the Thrift Store a few weeks ago and washed it on hot and dried it in the dryer. I then put one of Minnie' dresses over the sweater and traced it, remembering to leave extra space for the seam allowances.
After I cut out the two pieces, I seamed the armhole and really did not like how it looked. I decided to just leave the neck and armholes unfinished. Since the sweater is felted the wool will not unravel and it will keep the edge. I seamed up the sides and at the top of the arms and was almost done.
There was actually a small hole in the front of the sweater. I knew this when I bought it but wasn't worried since I would be cutting it up anyway. I was thinking of putting the hole at the back of the dress, but decided to cover it. I used some extra pieces from the sweater and cut out small flowers. I also incorporated the stripes in the flowers and arranged them on the sweater. When sewing them on, I used pink thread on the brown parts and brown thread on the pink parts.
The hole is under the solid pink flower.
Minnie in her new dress.

Posted by Picasa


Please click 'subscribe by e-mail' if you would like to receive follow up comments on this post.