Friday, July 22, 2011

2011 Thing a Week - Week 29 - Felted Soaps

So I finally made some felted soaps. I've been meaning to make these for a while, and it was a lot more difficult than I originally thought.

First I just wrapped the wool around the soap, dipped it in some hot water, and then rubbed it in my hands for a while. It just seemed to move the wool around. I scrubbed it hard between my hands for a while, and it still didn't seem to do much. I tried again with another soap, and it was the same.

Then like usual, I got mad and the soaps had to go on a time out for a little while. (Been wondering how that quilt is going? It's been on time out for a few weeks. I still need to ask you for help to see what exactly is going on wrong with it.)

Then I cut off the foot of a pair of tights, wrapped new wool around the already wooly soap, shoved it in the tights, and scrubbed it with a potato scrubber for a few minutes. The one on the left came out really well but the other two have a few spots where the wool is not fully attached and pulls away in small chunks. I don't know if I will fix the other two or just leave them. Also, I meant to give the good one to my friend Lindsay while she was in town, but I totally forgot! Now she's back in Texas, oops!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please click 'subscribe by e-mail' if you would like to receive follow up comments on this post.